This Training is delivered In House Only to Groups of 6 or more participants
The UK Level 3 NOCN Certificate and Diploma awards in Phlebotomy are recognised by NARIC Ireland and are comparable to awards at QQI Level 5 on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ)
Upon successful completion of the course you will be awarded two certificates:
Understanding Phlebotomy Skills and Techniques (3 credits)
Preparing to Use Phlebotomy Skills and Techniques (1 credit)
Duration for both modules is 2 days
Both modules are worth 40 hours Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
This course is internally and externally verified and has a duration of 16 hours contact time (2 days) and requires a similar period of home study.
Understanding Phlebotomy Skills and Techniques
- Understand key terminology associated with phlebotomy.
- Understand the principles of informed patient consent, including paediatric consent.
- Know Health and Safety (Sharp Instruments in Healthcare) Regulations.
- Understand own organisation’s application of phlebotomy policies and procedures.
- Understand the principles of infection control during venepuncture.
- Know how to recognise and respond to complications which could occur during venepuncture.
- Know why a tourniquet is used.
- Know types of tourniquet.
- Know how to obtain a patient and complete key documentation.
- Know what action to take if bloods cannot be taken
- Understand the structure of blood vessels.
Preparing to Use Phlebotomy Skills and Techniques
- Be able to apply effective hand washing techniques.
- Be able to use tourniquets.
- Be able to use small gauge needles.
- Understand the most commonly used blood tests.
- Be able to obtain blood.
- Be able to prepare and pack samples for transportation.
The first (mainly theoretical) day comprises of:
- A background to phlebotomy
- Health and safety in phlebotomy
- Infection control
- Informed consent
- Anatomy and physiology of the arm
- Site selection – good and bad veins
- Complications that can arise when taking blood
- Needle stick Injuries; what they are and what to do
- How and where to correctly apply a tourniquet
- What is expected of a phlebotomist
- The importance of correct patient identification and informed consent
At the end of the first day all participants are given a multiple choice quiz to complete – and have to achieve a minimum standard to continue on to the second day.
However as much support will be given as possible to ensure that you achieve this minimum standard.
The second (mainly practical) day will comprise of:
- A summary of the most common blood tests undertaken
- A guide to common types of equipment used in venepuncture and how to use them
- The technique of venepuncture
- The process of taking blood
- The correct use of safer sharps
The day includes:
- A period of role-play using pads attached to the antecubital fossa area
- A period of one to one supervised practice using an artificial arm to improve technique
- A 20-minute clinical assessment of each candidate
- Upon completion of the course the participants are be required to undertake a programme of home study
Additional Optional Module:
Applying Phlebotomy Skills and Techniques
Worth 60 hours CPD
Learner must be working in a clinical setting and is required to do 200 live draws.
A log book is kept which is signed off by an appropriate supervisor.
No class time involved.
WHAT DO OUR PAST LEARNERS SAY ABOUT OUR COURSE?
I did a 2 day course in Carlow and it was just brilliant. Alison (tutor) made you feel at ease but most of all it was the best course I attended. They covered all about phlebotomy and I learned so much, I would recommended this phlebotomy training to anyone. Thanks again for all your help!
I’m a nurse and I attended your training in Bagenalstown co Carlow in early June. First let me say that the training I received was invaluable to me. I was already taking blood but following your training course my technique improved enormously and my success rate for obtaining blood is just about 100% and I’m thrilled. Can’t thank you enough for this training it has been invaluable to me.
For certification purposes we gather certain information to provide you with our services.
As a customer, you will be added to Barrow Training’s mailing list where you will receive emails about courses, special offers & events. You can opt out at any time.