Aim: To equip the learner with the relevant knowledge, skill and competence to understand the role of tourism and structures within the tourist industry, and to provide visitor information.
Participant Profile: Course is suitable for those who require a formal qualification and skills to work in the hospitality/tourism industry.
Duration: 4 days (normally 1 day per week) or equivalent contact delivery days in a classroom setting. Learners will be required to complete work outside of class time.
Credit Value: 15 Credits
- Explain the concepts of ‘tourism’ and ‘the tourist’
- Outline the major sectors which make up the modern tourist industry
- Describe a range of types of tourism and their relevance in the national tourist market, including incoming, outgoing, domestic, business, leisure, excursions, adventure, cultural, package independent, personal and eco-tourism
- Outline the factors which have influenced the growth and development of tourism nationally and internationally
- Explain the role of travel trade intermediaries and the growing impact of internet usage on consumer travel decisions
- Describe the effects of tourism at local, regional, national and international levels, including social, economic, cultural and environmental
Entry Requirement: Minimum of Level 4 certificate standard of education. Strong interest in or working in the hospitality/tourism industry. A strong level of spoken and written English required.
Assessment: Examination - Theory 70% Project 30%. Learners will receive assignment briefs and guidelines on completing these assessments.
Tutor Profile: All tutors are highly qualified and experienced in the hospitality/tourism area.
Support: A range of accommodations and supports are available according to specific learner needs. One to one and email support available from tutors throughout the course.
Resources: Learners receive a comprehensive resource pack that can be used as a reference during and after the course.
Booking Process & Fee: Booking Form available by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or online at www.barrowtraining.ie . Discounts available if the course is booked and paid in full online.
Transfer/progression: Successful completion enables the learner to transfer to programmes leading to other certificates where this component is a mandatory or an elective requirement at Level 5 & 6.
For certification purposes we gather certain information to provide you with our services.
As a customer, you will be added to Barrow Training’s mailing list where you will receive emails about courses, special offers & events. You can opt out at any time.