Aim: This programme is aimed at learners who wish or are required to build their knowledge and support skills to enable a much more effective and inclusive service to be offered to children in early years environments with special developments and educational requirements.
Participant Profile: Course is suitable for those who require a formal qualification and skills to work in a childcare capacity.
Classroom – 4 days (usually 1 day per week) in a classroom setting. Learners will be required to complete work outside of class time.
Distance Learning – Commence at a time that suits you and work at your own pace. Full tutor support available throughout.
Status: Elective Minor component
Credit Value: 15 Credits towards 120 credits in Early Childhood Care & Education Level 5 award 5M2009
Some learning outcomes of the component include:
- Explore in the role and responsibilities of the Special Needs Assistant
- Examine the qualities and skills of an effective Special Needs Assistant
- Examine relevant legislation in relation to disability
- Explore the rights of children with disabilities in relation to personal autonomy, participation and decision making
- Relate effectively and appropriately to children who present with additional needs
- use care routines in feeding, toileting and general hygiene
- Maintain appropriate relationships with children parents, primary carers, teachers and other members of the multidisciplinary team
- Work effectively with children who present with disabilities under the direction of the classroom teacher
- Assist children with disabilities in a range of activities, ensuring quality of opportunity through working in a safe and professional manner
- Reflect on personal practice working with children, their parents or guardians and colleagues ensuring that their individuality is promoted
Learners will receive assignment briefs and guidelines on completing these assessments.