Aim: The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with knowledge, skills and competence in supporting individuals with intellectual disability who present with challenging behaviour
Participant Profile: Course is suitable for those who require a formal qualification and skills to work in a care setting.
Duration: 5 days in a classroom setting. Learners will be required to complete work outside of class time.
Status: Elective Minor component
Credit Value: 15 credits of 120 credits required to achieve a major award in Healthcare Support 5M4339
Some of the areas the learner will be proficient in at the end of the course:
1. Define the concept of “challenging behaviour” and identify inappropriate behaviour presented by an individual with intellectual disability
2. Be able to describe behaviour in observable, measurable terms
3. Explain how internal factors, related to a person’s health and well-being, can underlie challenging behaviour
4. Recognise examples of positive and negative reinforcement of inappropriate or challenging behaviour in daily situations in the lives of people with intellectual disability
5. Recognise examples in the daily lives of people with intellectual disability, where inappropriate or challenging behaviour is being maintained by the setting events and antecedents prior to the behaviour
6. Gather and record information about an individual with intellectual disability that can be used in the analysis of challenging behaviour and development of a support plan
7. Evaluate how well the goals and values of the Positive Behaviour Support model fit in with the policies of a service provider relating to challenging behaviour
8. Discuss a range of characteristics that promote positive environments.
Learners will receive assignment briefs and guidelines on completing these assessments.
For certification purposes we gather certain information to provide you with our services.
As a customer, you will be added to Barrow Training’s mailing list where you will receive emails about courses, special offers & events. You can opt out at any time.